Every year two school captains, two vice-captains and a group of prefects are nominated by students in their year level and teachers. This is followed by an interview process. The prefects under the leadership of the captains and vice-captains lead the student body.
Each year two student councillors per Student Development Program (SDP) class are elected to form the student council. In order for their nomination to be accepted, nominees must demonstrate that they:
- support school policies
- co-operate with teachers
- would like to represent their SDP class
- have been involved and have shown an interest in school activities
- participate in a productive and mature way in meetings
- have good communication skills to seek ideas, speak up at meetings and report back to their SDP class
- will attend all student council meetings.
The school captains chair the student council. The meeting is usually conducted with year level groups by the prefects.
The school captains report back on the various year level issues to the Principal, and together they decide on appropriate actions to be taken. At times the Principal reports back to the whole council.