What is the Instrumental Music Excellence Program?
The Instrumental Music Excellence Program is designed for those instrumental /vocal students who have already developed very high music reading and performance skills through the Primary school system (for at least 3 years) or private lessons.
Goals of the program are to:
- Provide advanced musicians an opportunity to further develop their skills in Instrumental Music, in a challenging environment, with other like-minded musicians.
- Allow students to learn through attendance at a group lesson each week and participation in at least one co-curricular Instrumental Music ensemble.
- Provide multiple opportunities for students to participate in a large co-curricular music ensemble program and grow as a musician within the Music program for their entire time at Mansfield High.
Successful applicants are expected to remain in the Instrumental Excellence program for the entirety of their high school studies.
Who can apply and be accepted into the Instrumental Music Excellence Program?
The Instrumental Excellence Program is available to both local area catchment and out-of-catchment students. Students interested in applying for entry into this excellence program should select thisoption on the enrolment for to be considered for the program. Not every student that applies will be granted an audition.
What additional processes do I need to complete to be considered for the Instrumental Music Excellence Program?
- School-reported academic, behaviour and effort data from the student's Year 5 Semester 2 Report Card.
- Student NAPLAN data
- Indicate on your application form the instruments that you wish to audition for, as well as some background information about your musical abilities and experiences (eg. AMEB level, member of ensembles, years playing instrument).
Students that are shortlisted for auditions will be forwarded a letter detailing dates and times to complete an audition and theory exam.
- The audition is 10 minutes in length; play an 'own choice' song that shows your musical ability; also sight-reading and scales.
- Auditions will be on Tuesday 18 August 7.30am – 5pm downstairs in the Music Centre for any out of catchment students applying for the program
- Auditions for students that are in the local catchment area will happen later in the year in the month of December to allow them to be placed into suitable ensembles.
How are students selected for the Instrumental Music Excellence Program?
Students are selected on the merits and strength of their application data as requested in the application and enrolment process. The school makes decisions based on our interpretations of the submitted data to select the students who present as being the most suitable for this program.
The audition is not a pass or fail for entry to the program. Students are graded according to where they are on their music journey and they are ranked in terms of priority for a place. Priority may be given based on playing level, best fit for our program and instruments that we currently need.